Talented, energetic and results-oriented professional with broad executive experience and strong record of accomplishment in non-profit and arts management, higher education, brand and message development, new media, public relations, crisis communications, community and government affairs, fund raising, and special events.
Rothschild & Associates Founder
Brunswick Group New York, NY Partner
Responsible for founding the arts consulting practice in the US and the Americas for this international communications advisory company based in London with 24 offices in 14 countries worldwide.
Barnes Foundation Philadelphia, PA Senior Vice President, Communications
Established infrastructure for communications and marketing at the Barnes Foundation. Oversaw communications, marketing, social media branding, graphic design and website
- Served on the executive management team
- Oversaw messaging and refinement of new Barnes Foundation brand
- Re-positioned the institution, planned and implemented media relations and marketing strategies for new Philadelphia campus resulting in $7.9m in media value
- Dramatically increased positive media coverage, garnering $3.5m in publicity value annually
- Leveraged $400,000 advertising budget for media value of $1.4 million and trades worth more than $500,000
- Created comprehensive visitor survey system linked to CRM and ticketing software
- Planned new responsive webpages and comprehensive website redesign
- Recruited new staff; created first marketing, graphic design, and social media departments
- Produced promotional films for collections, exhibitions and education programs
- Integrated earned media, advertising and social media platforms to drive awareness, ticket sales and increase overall engagement.
Cambridge Information Group Bethesda, MD Vice President, Communications and External Affairs
Directed overall messaging and communications for the Education Division of this international family investment company. Primary responsibility for Bach to Rock (B2R), a music school franchise company based in Bethesda, MD, and Sotheby’s Institute of Art, an MA program based in New York, London and Singapore.
- Created new infrastructure for communications including online media and image management
- Managed ongoing media relations
- Oversaw comprehensive careers program and internship development for Sotheby’s Institute of Art
- Devised student recruitment programs
- Orchestrated events with art world professionals and Sotheby’s Auction House executives and specialists
- Launched and served as Editor in Chief of Sotheby’s Institute of Art Blog and Social Media platforms
- Negotiated partnerships between Sotheby’s Institute of Art and international arts institutions
- Worked with Sotheby’s Institute of Art marketing team to create all print materials, online promotions and videos
- Taught communications and marketing at Sotheby’s Institute of Art
- Planned and executed successful crisis communications campaigns
- Garnered high profile publicity and opportunities for B2R student band performances
- Managed staff in Bethesda, MD, New York, NY, and London, UK
National Trust for Historic Preservation Washington, DC Vice President, Communications and Marketing
Served on the senior management team of this 200,000-member preservation organization with staff and partners across the country. Directed media relations, marketing, online communications, graphic design, branding, messaging and Preservation Magazine. Managed staff of 30 nationwide and founded the Trustee Engagement Committee.
- Built high-performance communications and marketing team merged with magazine and online communications
- Directed rebranding campaign including research, testing and implementation of new logo and message platforms
- Conducted national brand awareness and training program for staff, partners and allied organizations
- Significantly increased positive media coverage including front-page stories in national and international publications, major broadcast media, plus expanded blog and social network activity
- Launched new 2.0 website, content and image management systems, blogs and portals for UGC
- Restructured magazine ad sales, offering bundled online and print packages to reach new categories of advertisers
- Refocused magazine content to align with reader preferences, enhance online content and increase income potential
- Implemented high-dollar cost savings across departments in print, production, and design
- Secured significant in-kind and cash donations including major Google grant
- Consolidated list-building and media-management programs to increase efficiency and reduce costs
- Developed co-branding and messaging standards and guidelines for allied and partner organizations
- Devised promotional strategies for Historic Sites including Philip Johnson’s Glass House and Lincoln’s Cottage
- Created communications and marketing toolkit for partner organizations, grants and award winners
Whitney Museum of American Art New York, NY Associate Director for Communications and Marketing
As part of the senior management team, participated in overall decision-making, strategic planning, budgeting and programming. Oversaw public relations, marketing, community and government relations, website, and visitor services departments, and managed the Trustee Marketing Committee.
- Restructured Communications, Visitors Services, Community/Government Affairs, and Marketing departments
- Developed new website infrastructure, image management and content management systems
- Overhauled ticketing systems and online sales capabilities for better security and quality control
- Established list-building program, e-blast system and online ads to increase attendance and reduce costs
- Developed audience survey instruments and infrastructure for ongoing message and market testing
- Exponentially increased positive media coverage for the Museum in every category including front page coverage and a New York Times editorial supporting the Whitney expansion
- Negotiated contracts and guided $1-2 million advertising campaigns
- Directed international media and marketing campaigns for two Whitney Biennials and all other exhibition programs
- Served as spokesperson for the Museum
- Successfully steered Whitney expansion plans through complex government approval process. Oversaw project consultants; developed strategies and messaging; prepared team for community board and Landmarks Preservation Commission hearings; and directed all communications
- Handled high-risk crisis communications
- Worked closely with curators and the Director to create dynamic titles and brands for exhibitions and publications
- Founded the Marketing Committee of the Board of Trustees
Corcoran Gallery of Art Washington, DC Chief Communications Officer
Built the department over eight years and was promoted twice. Served on the management committee for the Corcoran Gallery of Art and College of Art + Design. Developed programs, budgets and public outreach, managed Trustees and Overseers, and ensured a vital Museum/College partnership. Directed marketing, public relations, advertising, media relations and communications for the College and Museum. Oversaw web site, graphic design, public affairs and marketing divisions.
- Generated international publicity for the Institution, including front page stories and editorials in The Washington Post and The New York Times, major stories in The Los Angeles Times, Reuters, Associated Press, The International Herald Tribune, NBC Today Show, CBS Sunday Morning, ABC Evening News, CNN, FOX, National Public Radio and many others
- Expanded staff to include two publicists for the Museum, two graphic designers, a writer/editor, a webmaster, and a director of public affairs for the College
- Tripled Museum attendance with advertising, publicity and direct marketing campaigns
- Doubled applications and increased overall enrollment with new College marketing programs
- Refocused and redesigned the College alumni magazine, making it more news-driven and entrepreneurial, expanded its audience to include art teachers and Corcoran members
- Coordinated successful Self Study and accreditation process for the College and AAM accreditation for the Museum
- Rebranded the College and Museum in preparation for the Frank Gehry expansion project
- Developed new College and Museum materials including catalogs, advertisements, posters, and brochures
- Created promotions to support new College majors including AFA degree programs, and a photojournalism program in partnership with the White House Press Corps
- Launched third-generation web sites and CMS for the Museum and College which incorporated e-commerce and immediately resulted in increased applications, memberships and shop sales
- Wrote and edited materials for the capital campaign including a newsletter, brochure and case statement
- Devised crisis communication strategies for Jewels of the Romanovs
The George Washington University Washington, DC (7/91 to 4/04) Instructor Publicity and Promotions and Media Relations in the Management Certification Program; Sotheby’s Institute of Art, New York, London, (2/05-present) Guest Lecturer; UCLA, Washington DC Campus (2/09-2/12) Guest Lecturer.
International Council of Museums, Art Table, American Association of Museums, Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design, College Art Association.
Virginia Brown Martin Awards, Philadelphia, PA (Judge, 2013 to present), Barrymore Awards, Philadelphia, PA (Judge, 2013/2014), Cue Art Foundation, New York, NY (Board Member, 3/09-6/14), Citydance, Washington, DC (Board Member, 4/11-present) Washington Project for the Arts, Washington, DC (Board Member, 2/07-1/12), The Cultural Landscape Foundation, Washington, DC (Founding Board Member, 1/98-2/07); Cultural Alliance of Greater Washington, (Board Member 9/03- 6/04); Cultural Tourism DC (Steering Committee, 3/00-4/04).
Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri, B.A. English Literature